Friday, April 6, 2012

Teacher Appreciation in a Tote

My children are all grown....or practically it seems!  My youngest is now an 8th grader, and at this age, we no longer do a "teacher appreciation", as there are so many teachers, and it's just "not cool" to bring in gifts for the teacher at this age....especially for a boy!

So....instead of doing a new post, I'm showing a post from a couple years ago, when my son was in 6th grade, and it was still cool to recognize your teachers!


I had to make a "teacher appreciation" gift, as it's teacher appreciation week, and tonight I have parent-teacher conferences.

So, I found an idea on Papertrey Ink blog on making a cupcake tote.

I decided I could do something like this for Cameron's teacher!  Only I adapted it with what supplies I had on hand!


Here is a picture of the project above.  Part of what I adapted differently is I used a pattern to cut Cupcake wrappers instead of doing an additional bag of sweet toppers for the cupcakes.  I also made a "matching" card, kept it to spring/easter colors, and I didn't have my own little tubes and didn't have time to order from them, so I created my own from a transparency film and some yellow cardstock!



When you open the flap, you will find the candy toppers....filled in tubes.  I cut 3"x5" rectangles from a yellow transparency material I had.  I then used Scor Tape along one 5" end, and rolled the other end onto it, forming the tube.  For the toppers, I cut a circle pattern on my machine (about 3/4" size) with triangles off the circle to make "tabs"  I taped the tabs down onto the tube with my score tape.  I then added a small strip of matching yellow paper around the circumference of the top, to create the "cap" look.

The Bunny paper piecing is from my Easter Bunny File

Here is my full recipe list!!  It's a long one...so be prepared!

TOTE:
Paper:  Cascata Yellow (12x12  - 3 sheets), pattern papers from SEI Chick-a-dee collection (one sheet of Anna's Bananas, and one sheet of Ga-ga), DoubleMates Brown paper for Bunny pieced together.

Other:  Ribbon by Offray, 1/2" Score Tape to secure Ribbon, 1/8" score tape for sides of box attachment and for paper strip holding candy tubes in place, as well as the caps of the candy tubes. I also used the Labels 10 Nestie for the matting under the easter bunny, and to create the flap at the top of the box to close it up.  I used a strip of velcro for the closure.  Transparency film for the tubes with paper topper.  I also covered the frosting tub with the papers and ribbon to match.

The cupcake wrappers were cut from Cascata Paper on my KNK, from a pattern provided by Judy on the KNK Yahoo Group.  I was going to make my own pattern...but her's fit the bill perfectly, and I figured why make it even more work!!  (So thanks for the pattern Judy!)

Card:
Detail Blending paper for the Itzy Inkies Flower Power Stamp, Copics, Nestabilities Labels Set, Border file cut from my KNK Machine (cut twice, from white and scraps of the SEI papers used on the tote)


UPDATE ON GIFT....his teacher LOVED IT!  She has 3 young boys, and they made the cupcakes prior to Easter, and ate them for dessert on  Easter Sunday!


Make sure you join in on the fun, and get an opportunity to win a GREAT prize package, by joining our April Challenge!

ENTER APRIL'S CHALLENGE:

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is soooooooo cute! Love the whole concept of this idea, it could work for a housewarming gift too. TFS

    ReplyDelete